2

Thursday 3 July 2014

Helen...On Ice.

Is it true that I own a pair of figure skates, even though  I'll never be able to use them, (because I can't walk. or even stand, unaided, - never mind, skate)?!

Yes!

They are white, professional figure skates, properly laced, and in their box.

I've never really known why it was important to me that I have them, but it is.

My mum told be once, about a blind boy that she used to teach. His obsession, was maps.

Even though he couldn't see them, and would never use them, he collected them, like his life depended on it.

Figure skating, (and dance), are both lifelong passions. I read rule books, and notice things that someone who just watched it for 'fun' would not.

I can tell the by the speed a skater takes a jump, or by the position in the air, if they are going to land successfully, or fall.

Why do I love it so much? I guess because it's artistic, technical, and creative, but also because it symbolises something.

It's about freedom, and it's about moving the body,in ways that I can't...and I never have been able to.

I love the glide, and I think that one of the best sounds in the world, is the swish of blades on ice. It sounds almost like music to me, and I could listen to it all day.

I love ice rinks. I love the sheen on them, if you go early in the morning, and the shiver you get when you first walk into one.

I love the first moments, after the Zamboni has removed the top layer, and the rink looks so perfect. I always envy the first person who will set their blades on ice, and make 'tramlines'.

I wish that those tramlines were mine - because in another life, they would've been.




 Image: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment