2

Tuesday 15 April 2014

My Letter to the Mayor of Swindon - A Response to his Comments About Disabled People.

Dear Councillor Martin,

As a happily married disabled woman, I have to say that I was appalled by your recent comments regarding disabled people, and sex.

Although I was highly offended by your use of the word ‘Mongol’, I am more offended by the fact that you see disabled people as less than human beings, who in your eyes, (and they eyes of this government as a whole, actually), don’t have the right to live as normal a life as we can.

Quite frankly, I think people with beliefs such as yours, shouldn’t be allowed to have sex and breed, just in case such bigoted, discriminatory, heartless and outdated views are passed on.

They show an almost unbelievable lack of insight, compassion and understanding.

Just because a group of people are different to you, what gives you the right to judge them so harshly?!

Love and sex, are part of life. No one has the right to say that anyone should be deprived of it!

I hate to break this to you, but disabled people are people, too! I do realise this may come as a shock to you, but we have the same wants, needs, and rights as everyone else does!

I would also like to point out that anyone can be affected by disability, and their lives can change in a heartbeat.

No one chooses this life, and no one is exempt from the possibility that it could happen to them.

I sincerely hope that you do not ever find yourself in our situation. If you did, you may just regret your words.

I am stunned that someone in public office would think that it is acceptable to say such things. It is not. I would have thought that, (at the very least), you would have the decency to keep them to yourself!

You must be aware that these views are hurtful, and you must also be aware that they will affect your reputation, and popularity.

I hope that there are consequences for your actions, and that this incident isn’t just ignored. You do not deserve to have the privilege of holding public office.

I hope you will do the decent thing now, and step down from your post.

May I also suggest that you make a donation to a charity that helps disabled people. Should you need a list, I’ll be happy to provide one.

An apology is not enough.

Yours sincerely,

Helen Sims




*Councillor Martin has now resigned from his post.


Link to story (with update).

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/15/swindon-mayor-nick-martin-mongols-resigns_n_5151125.html?ir=UK%20Politics



No comments:

Post a Comment